From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:16:11 -0500

I was diagnosed with celiac Nov 1st of this year.  I have been GF since
then.  Although I feel a *little* better, I still don't feel anywhere near
like my 'normal' self.  Typical symptoms included diarrhea, extreme fatigue,
brain fog, and sleeping 11-13 hours a day.  I have a day or two a week when
I feel 'sort of' normal, but the rest of the time I feel pretty much like
when I was eating gluten every day.

I am on prescription medications that I think may be the culprit.  Neither
my doctors nor my pharmacist has a clue whether the medications are
gluten-free or not.  In looking over www.csaceliac.org and www.celiac.com,
I've seen conflicting information on the best way to determine whether a
drug is gluten-free:
  Physician's Desk Reference (www.csaceliac.org)
  Drug Information Guide - reprint from Products for Patients with Special
Needs (www.csaceliac.org)
  Stokes Pharmacy - Celiac Sprue, A Guide Through the Medicine Cabinet
(www.celiac.com)
  Gluten-Free Medicines / Medications (a list at www.celiac.com)

Question 1:  How do you determine if a drug is gluten-free?

Question 2:  Do you know if any of the following drugs is gluten-free:
   Effexor XR 75 mg capsule
   Claritin-D 24-Hour
   Guaifenesin LA Tabs 600mg
   Flonase 50 mcg