From:
Renee Bernett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Renee Bernett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:33:41 -0500

WOW - this group is incredible. Only 12 hours since I posted my question
and already 27 replies that could put a lot of therapists out of
business!!!
**22 said YES, there was a noticeable improvement in their depression after
starting a GF diet.
**Several had suffered for years, refusing readily offered anti-depressants
or rejecting them because of side effects.
**Two mentioned still being on a low-maintenance dosage of medication.
**One had reduced the antidepressant dose by 2/3 in one year of GF eating.
**At least 8 mentioned having discontinued antidepressants completely, but
noted that accidental ingestion is immediately evidenced in mood swings.
**Quite a few recommended B vitamins and exercise as "natural" replacements
for the anti-depressants, in order to maintain emotional equilibrium.
** Three had not seen any improvement
** One recommended veratrum and L-glutamine and probiotics
** One initially thought there had been improvement, but is now being
treated for seasonal affect disorder (SAD)
    Admittedly this is all "anecdotal" but I've learned there's often more
credibility in "anecdotal" input from those who LIVE with a condition, than
from an equivalent number of "experts" who don't!!!
    If I receive more replies, I'll do a follow-up summary.
Regards
Renee in PA