From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:01:14 -0500

There is 'editor's correspondence' in the 11/24/2004 issue of the Archives
of Internal Medicine, 'Celiac Disease Must Be Evaluated in Patients With
Sjogren's Syndrome'.
The entire note is available only to subscribers (which I am not) but you
can read the first 150 words.

"We read with interest the article by Kassan and Moutsopoulos1 about the
clinical manifestations of Sjögren syndrome. We are surprised that the
authors did not mention celiac disease (CD) as an association. Indeed,
Iltanen et al2 found that in a population of 34 patients with primary
Sjögren syndrome, 5 patients (14.7%) had CD. This high prevalence has been
confirmed by Szodoray et al,3 who observed a CD prevalence of 4.5% in a
population of 111 patients with Sjögren syndrome, whereas the prevalence of
CD is estimated to be 0.45% in the general population. This is of interest
because the authors observed antimitochondrial antibodies in 7% of their
patients.1 In those cases, the histopathological appearance is similar to
that of early (stage 1) primary biliary cirrhosis. We know that the
prevalence of CD in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis is 10-fold
higher than that in the general . . .

Located at
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/164/21/2387-a?etoc

-Michael Thorn