From:
"Naomi M. Mettey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 21:49:51 -0400

This is both a report and a request for information:
Dear Fellow List members,
   Recently I contacted the Gluten-Free Mall on the Internet and ordered some
of the much discussed bread mix that contains wheat starch, accepted in the
European coeliac diet but not yet generally approved for American celiacs.
This wheat starch is supposed to be wheat with the gluten removed, so I
have read.

I had two reasons for doing this:
   First, I happen to have been born in England and if I still lived there
would be eating such bread anyway.
   Second, l am in need of a mix I can take with me when I am away from home.
This is in a most suitable form.

   The tritamyl arrived very quickly in a large package (enough for several
loaves) and is incredibly easy to prepare and bake.  Measure out 2 1/2 cups
of the mix, blend it with one cup of water and (optionally) an egg.  The
bread is baked in a regular loaf pan. The procedure is to put it in a
"warm" oven for 30 minutes, during which time it rises quite fast, and
then, without opening the door, to turn the heat up to about 400 and bake
it for another 30 minutes.  Lo and behold, a wellshaped loaf of white
bread!  It tastes like normal bread and toasts well, with a nice crunchy
crust.  I have not yet tried it untoasted.

   i should add also that, after ordering it, I started to get a bit  nervous
about the whole thing and called my gastroenterologist, who recently
attended the West Coast meeting of all the "big dogs" in the celiac medical
field.  When i asked her about wheat starch, she said that from what she
had heard at the meeting it would be "technically safe" for me to try the
bread.  So I went ahead.

   I am an average celiac--not one of the most "touchy" nor one of the least.
My usual reactions to a dietary mistake are mouth sores and painful
bloating. i had neither. i had a bit of ordinary gas one time but certainly
not a celiac reaction.

   Now I have told my story, hoping it will be of interest to some of you,
and i would like to know whether anyone else has made this experiment and
what the results were.  Can I hear from any other celiacs out there?

Naomi in Atlanta