From:
"J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 10:37:45 -0600

The issue of airborne exposure to gluten should not be of concern to the
vast majority of people with celiac disease.  The potential problem would
likely relate to the swallowing of flour that wold have picked up by the
mucous membranes of the nose and lower airways which is usually
swallowed and ends up in the stomach.  i have had one patient who a
relapse of her prblems diarrhea, when she started baking a large amount
of cookies(gluten containing) on a dialy basis.

A more likely route for ingesting gluten is through contamination of the
food preparation surfaces.  I dont suggest a prohibition of celiac
patients cooking with gluten, but i do suggest careful cleaning of
preparation surfaces and avoiding clouds of flour.

bread machines may present some challenges to get them really clean after
using regular flour. Do peolpe  have any problems with cleaning their
bread machines?

Joe Murray