From:
Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 19:53:31 EST

Monday night, on the ABC news, Peter Jennings aired a piece regarding
genetically altered food.  One of the items that he talked about was some
food item (I forget what it was) that was genetically engineered to
include a gene from the Brazil Nut for some reason or other.  What they
wound up with was a food item, that was identical in appearance from the
unaltered one, that caused the same allergic reaction in some people that
Brazil Nuts did.  But, there was no way they could know not to eat it
because the FDA claims that there is no need for a disclaimer because
"the risk is insignificant".  More than a fourth of all the corn produced
in the US and over a third of the soybeans are genetically engineered and
the consumer in the US has no way of knowing which ones they are.

This is scarry!!!!!!

We have enough trouble trying to decipher ingredient labeling to protect
us from hidden gluten without adding the genetically engineered problem
to it.   Makes you wonder who's side the FDA is really on.

Now that I have gotten all of that off my chest,  I'll suggest that there
has to be a way that we can get the attention of 'Big Brother' in order
to help us protect ourselves.  The fear of overreaction by FDA and/or
food producers is a real fear.  But, should it prevent us from doing
something?  Or is this just one more thing to add to the list of things
that frustrate those of us who have "food allergies"???

Grampa (and tonight Grumpy) Jim
Missouri