Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 13:03:16 -0600

Shipman House Gluten-Free Coffee Cake

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

                  _________________   OR  ______________________

In a classic mother-daugher moment, I wanted to make the coffee cake
for my mom over thanksgiving. She *had* to help, and then dinked with
the recipe a bit, so this is what I've now ended up with ... the blend
of flours really makes a difference and I think the extra egg-and-a-half
[?] has made it more moist.

Tracey's Variation on the Shipman Coffee Cake

5 egg whites  -- whip silly
5 egg yolks + 1 total egg  -- beat till light and creamy
1 cup sugar -- beat in to yolks

Add to yolk mix:
1/2 cup Lentil bean flour [from Indian grocer]
1/2 cup rice flour
1/8 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1-1/2 tablespoon vanilla
splish of Bailey's  *

Topping
3 tablespoons butter, melted impatiently in a skillet
1/2 cup sugar
a whole bunch of cinnamon
1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup chopped nuts

Fold egg whites into the batter**. For topping, blend softened butter with sugar, nuts,
cinnamon, flour cocoa. Bake in greased and floured 9-inch round pan.
325 for 20 minutes, then 350 for 15 minutes.

*yes, I did call Bailey's and they assured me their Bailey's + Cream
is totally GF

** mom would like it known that folding egg whites into batter is a lost
art form. Impatience does not work here, or else you'll poof all the air
outta the egg whites. She's convinced that if you "take the time
and do it right, young lady"  that the coffee cake will poof to well over
4 inches. With the kitchen gods on her side, her patient folding resulted
in a nearly 5 inch tall coffee cake that spilled over and trashed her
brand new oven. [size does matter <grin>]

*** for leftovers  -- if any -- wrap in wax paper, then a ziplock
baggie  to keep in moistness.

Enjoy!

Speaking of, off to the grocery store, as I'll be making this tonight
for post-church snickysnacks.

Tracey in Connecticut   GF lodging:  http://www.innseekers.com/feature.htm