From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:28:48 -0500

I have been sick for weeks.  I have been withdrawing from fructose.
But I have been eating fructose only every 4th day.

I think i've been sick because eating the fructose every 4 days has
unmasked a virulent allergy to the corn in it!

I just had a food reaction from eating about 2-3 tablespoons of fructose.
I felt kind of high right after eating it, then the high gradually turned
into a really out of it feeling about 2 hours after eating.  i had to lie
down, i am still not feeling OK about 8 hours after eating it.  I felt
angry and tense about 7 hours after eating it.  Also kind of hot.  And a
little bit headachy

I don't think it's fructose intolerance, to the fructose sugar.  That is
common for celiacs.  But I had no bloating or gas or diarrhea.  It feels
like one of my food reactions to proteins.

I feel completely blown away!  I think i reacted to the *corn* in it!
Do you know how LITTLE corn there is in fructose?  They make it from
maltodextrin, which is treated with barley enzymes, then the fructose is
separated out from that.  So it is very highly purified.

Apparently I am reacting to micrograms or less of corn protein.

I was going to test whether i have a corn intolerance by avoiding corn for
a week then eating one grain of corn.  But I'm not going to do that any
more.  I'm afraid i might die if I did.  I think I'll try 1/4 teaspoon of
cornstarch.  I think that is fairly safe.  I had abdominal pain for days
recently after Cipro antibiotics that had half a gram of corn starch in
them, but I didn't die.

Fructose isn't completely gluten free because of the barley enzymes.  So I
could be reacting to the gluten.  But corn starch is completely gluten
free -- I think.

My God.

I have been eating Smart Balance margarine in large quantities.  But it
has less than 2% whey in it.  So it has trace amounts of dairy in it.
I've been wondering if i'm drawn to it because of a dairy addiction.  Now
I'm going to have to try avoiding the Smart Balance too and doing a food
challenge with that ... and hoping I don't die.

Laura

ps I am following a rotation diet, see
http://www.lightlink.com/lark/rotation

Rotation diets are good for uncovering food intolerances you didn't know
you had, if you only have a few hiddens ones, because eating a food only
once every 4 days stops your body from masking the food reaction.

My God.