From:
ROBERT MATHEWS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:55:10 -0400

Thank you all for the very well written responses to my inquiry.  Here
is a recap:
written post.  Thrilled to read my post.  Hopes to see money unite. 2-
Political power (or money?) fights among the groups.  One suggestion of
sending seed money for celiac research to Univ. of MD.  Too many egos.
Too many politics.  What is really needed is unification.
"All the organizations are confusing.  We would have a much stronger
voice with one group."  "I would definitely be willing to send $ for
research if I was confident about the group."

Great response from Italy, we could learn a lot from them:  1.  12 kg
per month of GF food products (especially prepared by dietary food
companies for CD people)  These products are free of charge (paid by the
gov't dept. of health)
2.  People having CD are exonerated by military service
3.  Given a list of products (that you can buy in the normal market
shops) that are guaranteed to be GF by the producers.
4.  Collect money that, we people with CD as well as friends, relatives,
etc. address directly to a special fund for the "research" dedicated to
find a vaccine and to improve methods of diagnosing CD.
5.  Annual meeting where they spread infos about medical
news/improvement-food news-statistics (on the numbers of celiac in Italy
as well as in Europe.
The Italian Celiac Foundation was founded in April 1979.  Suggested we
join forces.  Many organizations cause dispersion of energies!!  Very
well written.

Canada also has ONE National Org. with chapters governed by National.
Totally agrees with me.  "It has to be difficult for food and drug
companies, even the gov't.(FDA) to address celiac diet requirements when
these agencies are receiving different information as to the
acceptability of various grains, additives, etc. from a number of
organizations with opposing views."

Semi-retired attorney GF for 15 years.  "Count me in for any
help/support I can give to the formation and operation of a national
group."  Willing to donate his efforts.  "You may be the sparkplug we
need to get something moving."

Someone was told not to push individually to FDA.  We need a united
front and will help in any way.  NJ

"Perhaps the existing organizations could be covered by some sort of
"umbrella" coalition just for CD.  CA

"Maybe someone in the D.C. area could lobby etc."  Arkansas

"Would like to help."   GA

Recommend starting an emailbomb campaign.

And now my 2cents worth.  I read there was an estimated 80,000 celiacs
in one of my newsletters.  If 80,000 people contributed $100 (an average
cost of the membership to all of these organizations)  we could have
$8,000,000 in one fund.  If 80,000 people started lobbying WASH. D.C.  I
think we could be a lot  farther ahead.  We can be raising research $
nationally.  People with rare disorders, who have special needs, should
have a voice in the legislative process and that access to appropriate
health service is made available to people with unusual ailments.
Doctors and researchers never have enough $.  I don't think they have
the time to work on disability issues, ADA, FDA, worrying which nursing
homes we can go to, how our kids at college are going to eat,
researchers aren't concerned about the cost of our GF products, how or
where we obtain them. Lets get together and address these social issues
for those of us that are diagnosed.
Thank you to everyone.

Elaine/Ohio