From:
diana l bramlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 21:41:54 -0500

I had so many responses and I wish I could post all the suggestions.
There were quite a few people that said eating potatoes caused them
to gain weight.  Several people follow the Zone diet and "Lean Bodies"
by Cliff Sheats.  Many people said to eat LOTS of vegetables.  Thanks so
much to all those that wrote to me with advise!

Diana

I found that I got really tired and sleepy when I was eating rice at every
meal.  I try to keep the starchy foods to 2 meals a day.  I have
increased low carb vegetables, meat and try not to be too afraid to have
some peanut butter on my applesauce rice flour muffins in the morning.
Not much change in weight, but I feel I have a slightly lower body fat
after several weeks.  I could probably increase my fat intake more.

I found that it is better to eat six meals during periods of high activity.
Be sure that you eat low carb.  and high protein meals on days that your
activity is reduced.

All I can add is that I have had good results with stabilizing my energy
levels (which, I assume, are directly related to stable blood sugar levels)
by eating lots of non-starchy vegetables and staying away from the high-sugar
fruits.  So, lots of green leafies and cruciferous vegetables, easy on the
potatoes of every kind, lots of brown rice, easy on the bananas.  Also, dairy
seems to be pretty quickly metabolized, resulting in more spikes in energy.
When I lean more toward the vegetables and brown rice in various forms, I
don't get so darned tired all of the sudden and I feel much more stable
energy-wise

The hardest food for me to moderate is potatoes.  They really make me
put the weight on!  Recently, on an extended bike tour, we ate tons of
rice and vegetables, and less potatoes.  What a difference that made in
controlling my weight, and overall healthy feeling.  Eating lots of
fresh fruit seems to be good for keeping my diet balanced too

"Entering the Zone" and "Mastering the Zone" by Barry Sears.  Theere are a
couple of significant issues that make the diet very attractive for the
celiac and the hypoglycemic person.  1) Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and all
those high glycemic index foods are relegated to the status of condiments.
That makes it very easy to eat GF and not notice it.The diet has you eating
more fruit and vegetables than you would have thought possible.  And liking
it and feeling great at the same time.

increase the amounts of fruits and vegetables in my diet.  I've lost 20
of the 30 pounds and haven't even been hungry or anything.  Just
different choices.  I also start using only 1/2 of an egg yolk with my
eggs in omlettes and recipes.  This really cuts down on the calories.
I only eat rice 3 or 4 times a week in the form of rice, or breads.  I
eat potatoes and lots of veggies

I was maintaining a low glycemic response with a macrobiotic diet.  Kushi,
the expert on macrobiotics, has written a book called Diabetes and
Hypoglycemia:  A Natural Approach.  I found his insights to be highly
valuable.  He gives a detailed analysis of carbohydrate metabolism and has
long lists of foods, pointing out which ones yield low glycemic responses.

Cravings.  Oh...and the fruit never helped!!  In fact, banana's although
wonderful carb pick me ups have sooo much sugar and the worst on the
glycemic index.  Apples are the best glycemic index speaking!!