From:
Beth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 23:11:15 -0500

Thank you to all who responded to my question about alkali.  I didn't
receive too many responses - but here is what I got so far.  I am
planning on doing my own research on this to see what I can find, and  I
will let those of you who requested me to do so know what I find out!!

--- I vaguely recall that alkali is unsafe for
us since it is grain-based or something.

--- Alkali is the opposite to acid!  It is fairly unlikely but
not imposible that some forms of alkali might be
contaminated with gluten containing material.  There is no
way of being certain.  However alkali is normally made from
minerals not from plant material and if from the latter by
complete burning.  Alkali is used in making soap and a very
wide range of household items which may now be acid, even
though one or other alkali was used in their manufacture at
some point.

--- My information is the reverse of what you mentioned, ie that cocoa
processed  with alkali is GF.

--- Another poster also mentioned using cocoa processed with alkali
regularly.  After going on a GF diet, the cocoa was still being used, and
the poster experience symptoms of gluten ingestion.  After switching
brands to a brand without alkali in the processing, the symptoms
diappeared.

More food for thought!!!

Beth in CT