From:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:39:47 -0400

When is a cookie mix not a cookie mix?

Apparently when it’s Gluten Free Pantry’s “Old fashioned Cake & Cookie Mix”.  I saw this mix in a store and bought it thinking I’d make a chocolate chip or oatmeal type cookie.  Not seeing a recipe, other than one for snickerdoodle balls, on the box, I  e-mailed asking to be directed to a chocolate chip  recipe.  But it was not to be.

After a short and, to my mind unsatisfactory, exchange of e-mail with the “customer service” department, it seemed to be  their position that if I had wanted to produce a chocolate chip cookie, I should have bought their  “chocolate chip cookie mix”, a product that was not in the store and which I had never seen (and which I would not have bought since it contains soy).  If  I was foolish enough to buy  a mix called simply “Old fashioned Cake & Cookie Mix”, I was limited to making snickerdoodle balls or anything I could adapt from that on my own, with no help or succor from them. Lesson to be taken? Don’t buy a mix unless the recipe you want to make is right on the box?

 So if anyone knows of a *chocolate chip cookie mix* which contains *no soy or milk ingredients* (I have soy- and milk- and gluten-free chocolate chips and soy-and milk- and gluten-free shortening) and which is *produced in a dedicated gluten-free factory* (I am extremely sensitive) and which reliably and *simply* produces chocolate chip cookies, time after time, I’d appreciate hearing about it. But, please, no from-scratch recipes. It’s a mix or nothing!  And nothing made by Gluten Free Pantry, of course.  Mary b.