From:
Marie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:46:27 -0400

Thanks to all the people who were so helpful about South Padre Island,
Texas.  I had trouble with the archives before I emailed the list for help.
It was so nice to hear from people who took their time to be positive and
help me.  It is so nice to be supported by so many out there with this
disease.  (After 22 years on this diet and beginning it when there was no
internet or support groups, this is such a great resource.)  We had a great
time at South Padre Island and ate successfully for the whole time we were
there.

Many of the restaurants on the island are privately owned.  There are
McDonalds and Whataburger, Denny's and Dairy Queen.  We easily ordered
hamburgers from Whataburger without a bun and condiments on the side.  I did
not eat at the other three.

I found that I was glad that I brought my Mexican Triumph Dining Card.  I
can't say enough about how great those cards are.  I used it everytime to
make sure I was communicating effectively, and especially when we went into
Mexico.  I have no affiliation with Triumph Dining Cards; I am just a very
satisfied customer with the items they have provided for Celiacs.

Here are the places that I received information about and my comments are in
( ).

Blackbeards -103 E. Saturn (Several people mentioned this restaurant and now
I know why.  Fresh seafood and a great staff.)

        steak, cole slaw, chicken (plain), baked potato, flounder and mahi
mahi.  They do NOT

have a GF menu.  (We had a broiled fish dinner at Blackbeard's.  Their staff
is very friendly and very helpful.  We had cole slaw and a baked potato and
steamed vegetables.  Everything was delicious.)

Jesse's Cantina - 2700 Padre Blvd.  (I had shrimp in a tomato sauce which
was so good.  Again, Triumph Dining Card was a must here.)

Ted's    <http://www.tedsrestaurant.com/> http://www.tedsrestaurant.com

        5717 Padre Blvd.  (We ate a breakfast there called (Migas- from
their menu) which was delicious.)  The people there were more than happy to
make accommodations for us.

Naturally's            <http://www.naturallysouthpadre.com/>
http://www.naturallysouthpadre.com  5712 Padre Blvd.  (I didn't get to this
store until later in my stay and I am really sorry that I didn't go earlier.
I talked with the owner and she is very helpful and supports Celiacs with
the many GF items she stocks.  She even said that she orders with Celiac's
in mind when she stocks her store.  They also serve food; though I didn't
eat there, she said they could fix a Gluten Free Meal.  I was impressed.)

 <http://www.sopadre.com/dining.asp> http://www.sopadre.com/dining.asp
(This was a good website with addresses and restaurant information.)

(We did venture into Mexico at Progresso.  At the end of the main street we
ate a late lunch at Los Anafres Grill.  Thanks again to my Triumph Dining
Card I was able to communicate with the people there.  We had great cheese
enchiladas with refried beans and rice and lettuce, cucumber and fresh
avocado.  They were extremely nice about our diet even after we found out
that we had wandered in when they were getting ready to close.)

(In Port Isabel which is just across the bridge from South Padre Island
there is a Wal-Mart Super Center and a great seafood shop B &A Seafood where
we got "fresh off the boat" shrimp and even some to take home.  Those were
the only two places that I visited there.)

(I am sad to say that I had some problems with a health food store in
Harlingen who had agreed to have a special order ready for me to pick up on
my way (after arriving at the airport) to my sister's At South Padre Island.
Though I was told that I would have the order when I arrived, it wasn't
there, which was not the fault of Kinnikinnick.  I wished I had just had it
sent ahead by mail which was what I had planned originally.  Kinnikinnick
has assured me that they can send food to people wherever they are even to
hotels, so that will be my choice next time.)

I would not hesitate to return to South Padre Island.

Marie in MD

*******
*******