From:
"Thomas, Janet (HRD)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 08:12:00 ADT

Perhaps we were not clear to Nora, despite all our responses re whether or
not she should have the biopsy done.  My experience with CD suggests the
following:  The decision to have the biopsy or not should be yours.  If your
physician has told you that there is a high possibility that you have Celiac
Disease then you may wish to go ahead and have the biopsy to confirm CD.  If
your physican feels that yours is a food allergy rather than CD, then you
will have a more difficult decision to make.  I do know this, though - if
you decide to have the biopsy DO NOT follow the gluten-free diet before you
have the procedure.  Otherwise, your bowel may have begun to heal and the
biopsy could very well be inconclusive.  If you decide to go for it, follow
a normal diet, have the biopsy and then your physician will be able to tell
you whether or not you have CD.   I have seen many members of this group
'talk' about getting inconclusive results from biopsies so I guess that is
possible.  My son had an inconclusive result the first time and had the
biopsy repeated a few days later, but that was due to the fact that the
doctor just didn't get a good enough piece of bowel, which he said happens
from time to time.  But there was no doubt that he had CD after the second
biopsy.

Janet Thomas