From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:28:29 -0500

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Jean Jasinski wrote:

> Do all gluten-free breads have the grainy texture of cornbread?
> We've tried Gillians French bread, recipes from Bette Hageman in
> the bread machine, various recipes from packages of flour, premade
> mixes from mail order, Almond-something-or-other bread (store bought),
> and I have a loaf of EnerG tapioca bread in the freezer I just bought.
>
> Is this as good as gluten-free bread gets?...  Can I use other flours and
> escape the grittiness?

I recently ran out of Ener-G brown rice flour and was using Arrowhead
Mills instead and found the texture to be gritty and the breads too dry
and crumbly.  Arrowhead Mills' br. rice flour is heavier than Ener-G's
(just look at the nutritional information on each brand) and I suspect
that the density and the milling process accounts for the differing
results in my baking.  I have found the Ener-G flours to produce light and
moist baked products.  Just remember to lighten the rice flour with other
flours (i.e. tapioca and/or potato starch).  I am not sure why you find
the mixes or Gillian's to be so grainy.  I have not tried Gillian's and
generally don't use mixes but the reason might be that you remember wheat
products whereas I do not.

Jane