From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 15:11:42 -0500

>>Also -- my CD daughter called a company about their carmel popcorn.  They
>>told her that popcorn "naturally contains gluten".  She has been eating
>>popcorn for years with no apparent problem.  Can anyone shed light on this
>>one??

Surely the key word in this discussion has been overlooked.  "Carmel"
popcorn.  It must be an ingredient in the carmel coating that contains
gluten.

Various health officials have been writing about how pop corn is fattening,
especially that which one buys with butter or ersatz butter dripping all
thru it.   My own experience as a kid was that being a celiac had caused me
to have such soft, breakable teeth it was not possible to eat popcorn
without fear of yet another trip to the dentist.  With a mouth full of
capped teeth and fillings and gold crowns, I now eat popcorn, but make my
own, cut way back on salt and butter.  I think the latter are almost habit
forming  and surely not good nutrition.

There has been very little discussion about the effect of celiac disease on
teeth, yet most dentists are aware that children with very poor dental
enamel are very possibly celiacs.  I wonder how many of those dentists tell
the parents of their suspicions.  One more avenue where a professional can
help spread the word about CD.    Will flouride in the water, or flouride
treatments in the dentist's office, or flouride pills cover up the CD
affect on teetn?

Just thinking out loud.