From:
ROSALIE JALBERT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:02:29 -0400

Mike Coe wrote>>
>>The best advice I got was that we all differ and need to
listen carefully to our own bodies regarding sensitivities to foods other
than those containing gluten.  In that light, CSA/USA's occasionally vague
descriptions of non-gluten sensitivities may best serve as a "head's up" to
let us know of potential problems, while we let our bodies tell us what
works

May I jump in here for a second?
Listening to your body is not going to help you determine if you are
ingesting gluten that will harm your villi. Because you don't have a
reaction to something, (in my humble opinion) is a dangerous way to live.
Don't you think it would be better to avoid those "questionable" foods
until more information is available.  Another thought is that
cross-contamination is definitely another issue to consider.

Also, not everyone is sensitive. Unlike my son who has immediate reactions.
and  has been a celiac for nine years after being undiagnosed for 18 years.
Currently he is having major problems and we cannot determine what is
making his so ill. I sent the post on charcoal briquettes to him and his
reply was "What will be next?"  He lives on potatoes, vegetable and red
meat right now since he is not supposedly allergic to rice, corn, soy,
chicken, eggs, and every other thing you can imagine.

I say beware and EAT SAFE.

Rosalie

Living in the State of Hope (Rhode Island)