From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 22:43:08 -0700

I have sent this to two members of the list, but as inquiries continue I
have decided to print it for everyone.

I find that with this bread, even the failures are good tasting and edible.
Few failures, just occassionally I get oven temp wrong and it falls a bit in
the middle.  It is very nice fresh for a couple of days, but I freeze most
of it then toast it in the toaster or on cookie sheet in oven.

I do not have a bread machine because I don't think they will make a good
job of gf bread.

Here are some things I have discovered over 28 yrs on the diet.

--  Gf breads should be beaten by hand with a wooden spoon or spatula.  A
whisk doesn't work - the batter should be a bit too thick for this.  The mix
master over-beats them and they get too fine a texture and tend to fall. I
believe this is what happens in bread machines.

--  If you put 1 1/2 tsp of Cream of Tartar and 1 tsp of baking soda in for
two loaves, they do not interfere with the yeast but help the bread to rise
and keep it up during baking.

--  Limit the use of potato, bean, arrowroot and tapioca flour to about 25 %
maximum.  If the bread is 'sticky' when baked, cut these flours down
further.

Here is my very favourite recipe which has evolved over many years of trial
and error.

Gluten Free Brown Bread

2 1/2 c  brown rice flour
2 c white rice flour
1/2  c bean flour (or potato or tapioca or white rice flour)
1/4 c garbanzo bean flour

2 + 2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1  tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp baking soda

1/2 c flax seed  (fresh ground in blender)

1 packet of traditional yeast granules

2 eggs  (room temp)
1/2 c oil or melted butter
                _______________

Method:  Put  2 Tbsp sugar in 2 c warm water and stir.  Add yeast and stir.
Leave in a warm place for a few minutes to develop yeast.

Sift dry ingredients into large mixing bowl, except flax.

Grease two bread pans (13" x 4 1/2" is good).

Add flax to dry ingredients - do not sift it.  Mix flax in well.

Add two eggs and 1/2 cup of oil or melted butter to warm yeast mixture.
Whisk until frothy.  Pour into dry ingredients and mix.  Add another cup of
warm water.  Batter should be like a thick cake batter - just pourable.
Add water a bit at a time and continue stirring to get desired  consistency.
Do not overbeat but be sure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed with no
lumps.

Pour into greased pans and set in warm place to rise for about an hour.

Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour. Test with cake tester which should come
out clean.  Sides should be pulling away from pan.  Do not under bake. Up to
20 min. extra won't hurt it

Turn pans upside down on cake racks for 5 min.  Remove bread from pan and
let cool upside down on rack.  When cool, slice with topside down and
freeze.

This makes about 20 slices per loaf.  They separate easily with the point of
a knife when frozen.

To use, toast in gf toaster or on cookie sheet in oven.  I toast them 3
times to get right degree of browning.  Oven works best.

Hope this works for you.  Would appreciate reports and suggestions.

Jessie