From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:47:06 EDT

Good morning all,

Many thanks to Kay for sharing this very important information about calcium.
As a person who exercises every day of her life, and teaches exercise to
others,
I still have some light bone loss because of the Celiac disease.  I want to
add that it is important for us to get a DEXA bone density test, especially
as women reach perimenopausal age.  If you have Celiac, all insurance
providers should cover it easily even if you have it in your 20s.  Remember
that men too suffer bone loss.

Thanks Kay for the wonderful food list, reminding us that the best calcium
does indeed come from other sources apart from dairy, which many of us avoid.
 There is more calcium in one small serving of sardine than in taking calcium
tablets for a month.  It is always best to get most of our nutrients from
food anyway, rather than paying for "expensive urine" by investing in so many
supplements, which might even tax our poor intestine further.

One word of caution to those of us who suffer from DH--avoid the seaweeds,
which also are a potential source of iodine.  Also, as Kay pointed out, some
calcium supplements are make from the shells of crustaceans, and so are those
diet pills that claim to help you pass food through the intestine faster, or
burn more calories, such as Chitosol.  Avoid it like the plague.

Stay well and enjoy the spring weather.

Love and peace,

Libby
NYC