From:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:22:07 -0600

More to come.

1 or 2 tablespoons of Patak's curry paste (web-sites show GF ones) and a tablespoon
of butter is a great way to spice it up...

*****
Italian Salad dressing. My kids put this on Rice a Roni and baked potatoes.
We use the Zesty Italian and I've found that it adds a lot of flavor to rice without
any work.

******
Using broth adds alot of flavor.  If I bake a chicken, I pour off the broth, skim the
fat, and freeze it in one cup containers to use when making rice ( empty yogurt
containers, well washed, work great for this).  I also add some frozen vegetable or
fresh spinach sometimes.  Grated carrots and zucchini added make a nice colorful side
dish.  Try stirring in some fresh grated parmesan if you eat dairy.  Try using brown
rice - it is much richer in taste and has more nutrients.

Lundberg makes a great GF creamy parmesan risotto that is easy and quick to prepare.
You can add fresh spinach or chopped  mushrooms for a heartier dish.

********

microwave any combination of mushrooms/onions/peppers/celery (microwave avoids any
fat - but can also fry in the pan prior to adding rice), add to rice at beginning of
regular cooking toast almonds, make rice as normal with a tsp of curry powder - toss
in toasted almonds, raisins at the end and let it sit long enough to plump the
raisins.
sprinkle in some mrs. dash (any flavour works fine) or salad herbs at the beginning,
with some gf chicken bouillion powder/cubes Use any of the lifestream risotto mixes -
really quick and yummy.  I find them too spicy and salty, so I double the rice and
water, and use the full packet of flavouring mix (or only use 1/2 of the spice mix at
a time.) Jambalya recipes are all over the internet - great way to use veggies and
rice.

***

We use a rice cooker. We wash the rice, add it to the cooker.
Then, you can add spices. My favorite is to add 1T of Penzy's curry seasoning. Any
curry seasoning is good, but that one is especially good. Then you get bright yellow
curry rice!

If you want to be even more "Indian" about it, add some raisins and toasted nuts. You
can also toss it with a little oil, which is what they seem to do at the Indian
restaurant we used to go to. It's very yummy!

If you use 1T chili powder instead, and some tomato sauce instead of water, you get
Spanish rice.