From:
Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:00:32 -0800

Ive been on Prozac (10mg per day) since 1994.  Ive been following a GF diet
since late September and havent felt this good in 20 years.  In fact, just
last month the Prozac appeared to be making me hyper (it used to put me to
sleep).  As these new symptoms were quite uncomfortable for me, my doctor
instructed me to taper off Prozac and then quit.  I was overjoyed.

Unfortunately I wasnt able to tolerate being off Prozac.  Many of the
symptoms I had prior to going on the medication returned in full force, and
my blood pressure went up.  So I went back on medication.  My doctor ordered
Liquid Prozac for me, so Id be able to take a controlled amount of a smaller
dose.  (He says Im dose sensitive and that splitting the capsule apart wont
give me an exact dose.)  I picked up the medication last night and noticed
the label states it contains 25% alcohol.  When I contacted the pharmacist he
couldnt tell me if the alcohol contained in the medication is GF.

Does anyone know if Liquid Prozac is GF?  If not, is there anywhere I can get
a GF liquid formulation?  For the past five years Prozac has helped control
premenstrual mood swings, anxiety, and depression.

Im extraordinarily sensitive to foods, medications, antibiotics, and many
herbal or homeopathic substances.  (Even small amounts of natural stimulants
such as ginsing, processed sugars, caffeine or chocolate (theobromine) can
trigger a rapid and irregular heartbeat.)  Over a period of 10 years I went
through literally dozens of different medications prior to finding ones that
worked well.  The side effects of most medications are excruciating,
debilitating, and humiliating.  Some side effects are life threatening and
have landed me in the hospital on more than one occasion.  The idea that I
might have to start trying out new medications again scares the daylights out
of me.

Id appreciate any and all suggestions.  Thanks for taking the time to read
this.  This group has been a god send to me, in more ways than I can express.

Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit

Anaheim, CA