Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 16:12:44 -0400

Thank you for all the positive responses, below are some that I received.  All of the responses basically said the same thing - talk to the head waiter - he/she and the chefs will be our best friends.

I will let you know how it went when we return - early July.

Guests are assigned a head waiter and head server who will consult with you at every meal sitting to tell you what they can fix that is GF. You will rotate between the different "restaurants" for each meal, but your head waiter and server will go with you. On the day you are at Castaway Cay, Disney's island, you can have a special meal ready for your son...just talk with your head waiter the night before and he'll take care of it. GF pancakes can be ordered the evening before so you can have them for breakfast the following morning.  Frankly I find Disney one of the most accommodating "places" on earth for Celiacs.

Nothing really to advise. Disney is one of the most accommodating places out there. They will have gluten free specialty foods and will know exactly what your son can and can't eat.

they were great, they had menus that indicated which foods were gluten free and indicated dairy free, etc.  they had gf rolls every night, made gf pizza and pancakes, very positive experience

In order to receive gf breakfasts and lunches, you need to eat in the dining room, and not go to the buffets that are on deck.  I guess I had naively assumed that by filling out the card, someone would "take care" of me while on board, and that the staff would know what was gf and what was not.  Well, there was someone to take care of me, my head waiter and table waiter, but that someone was not hanging around the buffets on deck.  No one told me this.  The only way I could be guaranteed to get gf food was to eat all 3 meals in the dining room (or order room service).  They had gf bread on the ship, and that was good.  However, the meals were not the greatest.  They would take a meal that normally was tasty with lots of gluten containing sauce and serve it to me plain.  Boring and bland.  I would bet and hope that in the 4 years since I have been that they have improved the gf food

We went on the 7 day cruise with my parents and 2 CD kids and were pretty happy.  FIrst, you need to find out who is your head waiter ASAP!!! Like the MOMENT you you settle in... I cannot stress this enough.  S/he is your best friend for the whole food thing.  Also, try to talk to the Chefs at each restaurant- this is nice but above and beyond, your head waiter is the priority.  I learned that you have to order each meal at least the meal ahead in order to not have to worry. Overall they were good, but hopefully could have put a little more effort into making it a "magical" experience

We went on the Disney cruise a year ago, and had a blast. I have 4 children with CD. The head waiter on our cruise was Stephanie and she was fantastic with my children. She made them gf waffles and pancakes for breakfast. They had gf bread and pasta on board, and even made them a gf cake. One night there was nothing that my 2 younger children liked on the menu, so she went and made them a "special" meal, with shrimp and lobster. They are wonderful with the buffetts too. Just asked to speak to the head chef in that area and he/she will walk you around the buffett and tell you what the child can or can't have. My one son is very sensitive to cross contamination and not once, did he get sick on the cruise. We even called for room service one night, and my kids wanted a cheese and fruit platter, which normally comes with all kinds of breads and crackers,,,they made on special just for them, with gf breads and crackers. All of our Disney experiences have been wonderful, but the cruise was TOPS.
As for nausea, believe it or not, I found that a teaspoon of benedryl helps

Try Bonine - the company verified it is gluten free just three weeks ago. Happy cruising! Also, you may want to try the wristlets that are based on accupressure. It works well with some folks

I took Dramamine - the orange chewables because I am not a great pill swallower (since it was 4 years ago, I would double check to make sure they are still gf.)

Try ginger - capsules have been shown to actually prevent nausea in most cases - bonus - no side effects!

 .

.