From:
Donna Hemingson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:49:31 -0400

Hi All...it may be possible to say a Gf diet is healthier if we define what
we mean first by that statement. For me sometimes it is and sometimes it
isn't. Mostly it is -as I tend to eat "naked " foods and I believe that
food closest to their original state is better for most of us. But I also
try to be aware of what I may be missing in my diet such as fiber and B
vitamins and what I may be consuming too much of such as rice and grain
replacements. It seems to depend on what our belief system is and what we
think is a healthy diet. I have no interest in trying to make "replacement"
foods for what I eliminate out of my diet. I can get my sugar fix from the
real thing- sugar- ie maple, honey etc. Having been celiac (supposedly) all
my 55 years I have developed an innate appreciation of plain , whole food
and do not need it dressed up or disquised in any way. Where I get into
trouble is when I am really hungrey and do not have anything to grab, I can
consume, in a flash, a huge amount of "junk" of which I then pay for . A
woman in the next town bakes gluten free and I had a piece of her brownie
cake- I almost spun out of this world from the sugar. Perhaps it is no
wonder that there is a higher than normal corelation and incidence of
diabetes among CDers. Rice and many of the grain substitutes are usually
very refined carbohydrates . I think that the diet in the long run stops me
from eating a lot of junk because it usually has an ingredient that I can't
have, but it is still very possible not be eating Healthy!!    Take Care,
Donna in Pa