From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:46:59 -0500

Having previously noticed this product mentioned by fellow list serve
members as one of the GF items availabale at Costco and having purchased a
bag the other day, I posted a question to those who eat this mix if they
have had any problems given the fact that it states on the bag that it is
processed on equipment where wheat products are also processed.  The Costco
rep even told me on the phone that they could not guarantee just how well
the lines are cleaned between runs.  So I wondered about its safety since
other Celiacs seem to enjoy this product.

I only got a few responses and a mixed bag of them at that (pun intended).
Three folks said they have eaten it for some time with no problems.  Three
others questioned why I would take the risk since Costco cannot make a more
conclusive statement.

Personally, my son (our Celiac) eats cereals and chips made by companies
that also produce non GF products on the same lines.  I know the lines are
cleaned between runs.  I don't know how well, of course, but he hasn't show
any signs of problems nor have we noticed any visible problems with non-GF
items being mixed in with GF products.  In the end you have to decide which
road to take--the straight and narrow or the slightly risky one.  Ain't life
grand?

Joy in Arizona