From:
Toril Myrtveit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 20:19:21 +0100

I have with great interest read the www-page on selective IgA deficiencies,
and would like to pose some related questions

1) When I went thru the CD screening test, all IgA antibodies to the six?
tested antigenes were zero. Now, does that mean that the test is
inconclusive, or is IgG (in CD) always raised when IgA is lacking?

2) After having learned about selective IgA-def. I demanded a test for total
IgA, which I got from the third doc I asked. To my surprise the total IgA
was normal. So I wondered; How rare is this? If selective IgA def. occurs
i 1-2/1000, is specific IgA def. more or less rare? And is it probable
that one lack IgA antibodies to all antigens when you lack for the six
most commonly tested?

3) With normal IgA levels, I guess there is no risk of anaphylactic
shocks?

And, yeah, the docs I've been asking says that CD is out of the question
since all levels are well below the upper limit. But none commented on
the many zeros, I didn't know till I asked for a copy of the test. So
how the /%&# do people find out they have sel. IgA def when you're not
told, and you have to beg for the total IgA test. (Sorry, just venting
some frustrations)