From:
Michelle Creber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Creber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:59:48 -0600

Should my two children with Celiac (6 yrs & 8 yrs) be wearing a medic alert bracelet or necklace?
Or something indicating they have celiac?Very interested in your replies.Thanks!Michelle

Thanks so much for all your replies and opinions!
To summarize :
about 1/3 if the replies said it was unnecessary with the most common reasons being because:

Med Allert would be required if reaction to gluten was an anaphylactic requiring a Epi-pen (not a typical celiac response),
or some concurrent health problem that would leave them unable to speak for themselves--diabetic/blood sugar issues,
seizure disorder. In those cause, that life threatening condition would be listed first & the GF would be an add-on...
Otherwise, the consequences of accidental ingestion of gluten are not life threating.

My doctor told me no, because in a true medical emergency the doctors should not stop to worry about what life saving medications are gluten free.

No because they wont die if they get contaminated.

No. In a major crises & the children are unconscious, any meds etc would be administered by IV & would not cross the intestines, so would not matter.

The other 2/3s said it would be a good idea for the following reasons:
I wear a medic alert bracelet. it also gives me weight with doctors and nurses who try and pass me off as being complaining when i request to know
the contents of drugs because its on THEM to check for medical jewelry, which i have. so it is empowering to me
For kids, I know families who have their kids wear allergy bracelets not really because they need it in the case of EMT intervention,
but its the only way to make sure teachers, friends, other parents, view their needs as valid and not cheatable. i also find it provides
me/others with a sense of validity for their self-advocacy. its hard psychologically to cheat with a bracelet on that says I CANT EAT THIS.

Yep. Medicines can and often do contain gluten, and if there is an emergency there are a myriad of other factors effected by their celiac.

Probably wouldn't hurt - particularly for school. People who don't know
about CD don't take it seriously.

I do, and I am an adult. It also makes sure all drugs administered by mouth are gluten free. This way if I am in an accident or something and not 100%
I won't accidently let myself get poisoned by medication that is supposed to help me.

Absolutely! I highly recommend the long-established, trusted leader in this area Medic Alert.

Well, I would. Unless they were attached to my hip 24/7. Especially if they are pretty sever,
and/or have something like hypoglycemia - the temptation to help a child is overwhelming,
and people should probably have some warning that they can't have the gluten.

Too many adults, especially in school settings, tend to brush off what kids say about medical problems, but the Med Alert bracelet always gets respect.

I thank you all once again for taking time to reply to my question.
There were also a few links to sites for ordering the bracelets, if anyone is interested, let me know and I can forward them to you.

Michelle

*******
*******