From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:31:12 EDT

One of the members of our group contacted me about barley in the coffee
substitute "Teeccino" which is labeled "Gluten-free."  Label says "brewed Teeccino
is gluten-free" and gives several methods of preparing the product.

After having a reaction and finally finding barley on the label, the company
was contacted.  According to the company rep they spoke to the product is only
g.f. "when brewed in a drip coffee maker"... Even if gluten could be removed
in that manner, the label does not specifically give that information.
Information from their website is shown below along w/ the link to product
testing....

So, buyer beware...Even though labeling has improved, we still need to read
"Every label, every time."

Bev in Milwaukee

"Does Teeccino contain any gluten?"
Although Teeccino contains barley, an independent laboratory at the
University of Nebraska that specializes in gluten testing found no detectable levels of
gluten in Teeccino. Although gluten is present in barley, it most likely does
not extract out of the barley using conventional coffee brewing techniques.
Gluten is not extracted by boiling water although it can be extracted using
ethanol alcohol, which of course is not present in Teeccino.
http://www.teeccino.com/images/webpaper.gif to see Gluten testing results.