From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:41:54 -0500

Passover products are on the shelves in many supermarkets now. The labeling required on Passover products enables those of us with celiac to find more foods that are gluten-free. But, just because something says Kosher for Passover does NOT mean it is gluten-free.

Here is what you need to know.

First, religious (Jewish) law prohibits eating grains during Passover, except for the wheat in matzah and its related forms....matzah meal, cake meal, and farfel (regardless of how they're spelled.) So in order to be labeled Kosher for Passover, the product must list if any of these are in it. If you see matzah, matzah meal, cake meal or farfel in the ingredients....do not eat it. It is wheat. The reverse helps us too, because if NONE of these are listed on a Kosher for Passover product, the product IS gluten-free, including in the processing.

Second. If a Kosher for Passover product says non-gebrochts, it has no grain in it and is gluten-free.

Read the labels carefully. Check the freezer department, too.

You may see people on the listserv talking about oat matzah. I do not use it and do NOT know where to get it, but the matzah that is sold in supermarkets is made from wheat (and I just saw spelt, also no good for us). In the past, oat matzah was ordered from various websites.You can do an online search, if that's your preference.

And, please don't be angry with me if your supermarket does not carry a plethora of Passover products. Tell the store manager, not me.

I hope this helps.

Lin  (I have celiac and observe Passover.)

*******
*******