Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:56:55 PDT

I have recently updated the single webpage GF Food List:

   http://geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-ongoing.html

This has foods from all categories listed on one page.
This list is no longer completely alphabetical.  It is now
alphabetical by category just like the smaller lists are.
The page loads very slowly, but it comes in handy for
someone who is uncertain what category a product may
fall under.  Using your internet WWW browser, you may
use the FIND feature to locate items by key word.  Prior
to the update on 9/10/99, it had not been updated since 4/9/99.

Those of you who do NOT have internet access, may email me at:
[log in to unmask]  to receive a
word.doc version.  Please, only those with NO internet
access email me for the file.

Most of the smaller lists have been updated as well.  I
generally  work on these every 2 - 3 weeks.  The main
index page is located at:

   http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html

There is also a list of products that have been completely
removed from the list because they are not gluten free at
all and were reported to me in error or because the
product has changed  ingredients and is no longer GF.

The No Longer GF List is located at:

   http://geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-nolonger.html

The Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group is dedicated to
provide support to celiacs and to help one another live
a Gluten Free lifestyle, encouraging a zero-gluten diet if
at all possible.  Because we believe that accidental
ingestion occurs, we believe that intentional ingestion of
contaminated items should be avoided in order to reduce
the risk of intestinal lymphoma.

Because of this, I have just created a new page for
Contaminated Products.  Some people will be very
pleased that list has been created, some will be upset
because it draws attention to items in their diet that they
may have to be more aware of.  Items included on the
Contaminated Products are no longer included on the GF
Food List that I maintain for the support group.

The following types of items are included in the
Contaminated Products list:

1.  Items where gluten that is visible to the naked eye is
found in the product, such as a report of a celiac finding
oat flakes in the Health Valley Blue Corn Flakes.

2.  Items from manufacturers that provide disclaimers or
warnings, stating that sensitive celiacs may get sick due
to contamination from not thoroughly cleaning the lines
between runs, such as ALL Frito Lay products.

3.  Products on manufacturing lines that also are used for
some products that contain gluten & others not containing it,
where, upon questioning, the company admits over the
phone that the manufacturing lines are NOT thoroughly
cleaned prior to making GF products on it, even if not
such disclaimer or warning is provided in writing.

4.  Items where the manufacturer refuses to say whether a
gluten grain is used at all during the processing of a
product, such as Heinz white distilled vinegar (the U.S.
version) (used in various heinz products).  I personally
telephoned Heinz and asked whether gluten grains are
used during the processing of this vinegar.  The
customer service rep refused to answer this question.
She kept stating that the vinegar is distilled from corn.  I
questioned her about why the label states that it is
distilled from selected GRAINS AND VEGETABLES if it
was only just distilled from corn, which is only one grain.
She finally stated something like "if there was any gluten
in the mixture prior to distillation, we believe that the
distillation process would remove it from the final
product."  Because HEINZ will not guarantee to me that their
White Distilled Vinegar never involves the use of
gluten grains or contamination by gluten grains prior to
or during distillation, I am adding this to the
Contamination list.  Although HEINZ may believe that
distillation removes gluten from the final product, not all
celiacs believe that this makes a product safe.  Therefore,
I am construing this to be contaminated for the purposes
of my GF Food List and all products containing this
vinegar as well.

The Contaminated list is located at:

   http://geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-contaminated.html

____________________________

I realize that some people will be upset that their favorite
foods have been listed as contaminated.  But there are some
celiacs who don't notice the warnings and disclaimers that I
have been providing on my lists.  It is especially important to
newcomers to be able to find the safest foods quickly.

I want to thank Gena, Chris, and Marion who have
provided much help in finding products to add to the list.
Without them, I couldn't stay above water!

Abigail, St Paul, MN
Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/start/
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html