From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:57:03 -0400

>She had the biopsy for celiac disease, and it came back
>negative.

I am glad you pointing this out.  I for one missed it.  Even with a
confirmed biopsy report I still have those that think I am just being a
fanatic.  My father-in-law refers to it as a health food store diet.

I have said this before but feel it needs repeating to the entire list.  For
those of you with a negative biopsy and feel you have a problem with gluten
please get a copy of your biopsy report and get a second and third opinion.
It might confuse you even more but at least you will see that many doctors
do not know how to read these reports.

My first biopsy was read by a doctor as a low positive and he told me to
stay on a low gluten diet.  When this did not help I went to a second doctor
who read the report as negative.   I then (at least a yr later)  went to a
third doctor who said he didn't care what the biopsy said, he could tell by
talking to me that I had celiac .  Year's later his partner read my original
biopsy and said it looks like a positive  to him.

What the first two doctor's failed to connect is my mom has DH.

I am not just trying to put down doctor's but am telling you that all
Gastroenterologists are not knowledgable in celiac.  Find one that is and go
get another opinion.

Yes, there are friends and family members that will not go out of their way
to ensure that I can eat but I am extremely grateful that there is a cure to
this illness.  Many others are not so lucky.

Ginny
East Brunswick, NJ