From:
JGottl6279 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 15:16:33 EDT

Hello Listmates: I received over 25 replies to my question on whether
maltodextrin, citric acid and ascorbic acid are derived from corn. The
corn-sensitive people (who also are gluten intolerant or have CD), I wanted to
get the summary posted. Since I have avoided these substances in the last
several days, I am feeling remarkably better and, thus, wanted to share my
findings with the list. This confirms my belief that so many of the difficult,
but hard to pin down, reactions are caused by food intolerances and/or
allergies.

*Maltodextrin: Can be derived from either wheat or corn but in the USA is
almost always corn

*Citric acid: Can be derived from natural sources but is most often corn-
derived; have to call each company to find out exactly what the source of the
citric acid is, and often the companies and/or the representative doesn't know
the answer

*Ascorbic acid: There is a chance that it is derived from Vitamin C, but more
than likely, it is derived from corn; again, have to call each company for
confirmation

*xanthan gum: Almost always derived from corn (this was not good news since so
many of our products have xanthan gum as a gluten-substitute; guar gum and
methycellulose are corn-free and serve the same purpose as xanthan gum;
sometimes these latter two substances do an even better job than xanthan gum)
.
*Other possible items derived from corn: Caramel, confectioner's sugar,
dextrose, excipients, glucona delta lactone, treacle, MSG, and zein (don't
know what this last one is, personally)

I hope this is helpful and sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think
it is better to know "the enemy" than not!

Best GF wishes,

Leslie in Atlanta USA