Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:20:12 EST

Dear Ms Rose:

Regarding the flippant reference in the above-referenced book to gluten
intolerance, as a celiac and an attorney, may I suggest that your company do  some
fact-checking before publishing a book with such an irresponsible reference
to a serious disease.

If this was a mere fad eating-style, why would Columbia University,  the
University of Chicago, the University of Maryland and other respected
institutions of higher learning in the US, and around the world, allocate  resources to
fund complete research centers studying this disease?

While you are thinking about that, you might consider an apology to  those of
us and our families who have to deal with this disease every time  we put
anything in or near our mouths (including not only food, but beverages,
prescription and over-the-counter medicines, toothpaste and other dental  products)
for the rest of our lives.

More importantly,  if you had bothered to check into this, you would  know
that there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of undiagnosed  people
with this disease around the world with a variety of symptoms.  The  longer they
go undiagnosed, the higher the probability that they will suffer  other
auto-immune conditions, other diseases and even death.  By  perpetuating
misinformation, you increase the chances that at least such  people, avoid diagnostic
tests that would lead them to gluten-free eating,  the only known way of
overcoming the serious consequence of this  disease.

June H. Brettler, Esq.