Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:26:26 -0600

We are pleased to announce that the speaker for the quarterly meeting of the San Antonio Celiac Support Group is Dr. Kenneth Fine, MD, who is well known within the celiac community. He has been an intestinal researcher and an academic and clinical gastroenterologist for fifteen years. He is the Director of The Intestinal Health Institute, FinerHealth and Nutrition, and EnteroLab Clinical Laboratory in Dallas, Texas. You can find more information about Dr. Fine's research at www.finerhealth.com.

Dr. Fine will be speaking to us about the importance of early diagnosis of gluten sensitivity. The title of his presentation is "Early diagnosis of gluten sensitivity: before the villi are gone." Come and hear about the latest research developments that allow for an earlier diagnosis of gluten sensitivity. There will be plenty of time for questions afterward. We ask that you write your questions down and give them to Anne Barfield or Lynn Rainwater before the meeting.

When: Thursday, 4 March, at 7 pm
Where: Covenant Presbyterian Church, 211 Roleto Drive, Gym area (behind the kitchen).

If you are approaching the church on I410 going west, Anne Barfield advises that "From the airport area, you can exit at Honeysuckle, and be prepared to make an abrupt right onto Roleto. If you choose to exit at Blanco/Northwest Military you need to cross Blanco, where it is only one lane right now, and watch for the middle fork in the road. The first left puts you on the freeway. The middle fork goes along the access road, and the right veers over to Northwest Military." If you are approaching from the west, take the Northwest Military Highway exit, turn left onto Northwest Military, take the first left, and then again first left onto Roleto.

Please bring a gluten free snack to share. It is important that included with each snack is a listing of ingredients. Some of our members need to avoid more than just gluten. If the recipe is either original or has been changed at least 3 times, please bring the recipe. We can publish these recipes on the Recipe page in our monthly newsletter.

If you cannot attend this meeting in San Antonio, Dr. Fine will be speaking in Austin on 6 March at 1 pm. The meeting will be held at Tarrytown United Methodist Church, 2601 Exposition Blvd.

If you are not yet a member of Alamo Celiac, we invite you to visit our Web site, www.alamoceliac.org, and click on the Join button. Then click on the first button on the Join page to get an Alamo Celiac Membership Form in PDF format that you can print and mail in with your check. Or you can bring cash or your check made payable to Alamo Celiac for $20 and join at the meeting. If you would like more information about our group before joining, please contact Anne Barfield, 210-340-0648 or [log in to unmask]

Lynn Rainwater,
Treasurer
Alamo Celiac (San Antonio Celiac Support Group, Austin Celiac Support Association, Gluten-Free Gatherings of Corpus Christi)