From:
Dina Moreth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:24:43 -0500

I received a quite a few responses to my recent post that Lays chips were
still at risk for cross-contamination due to being manufactured on non-
dedicated lines.  Most of the replies went something like this:  "I am
extremely sensitive to gluten and I eat these with no problem."

While I thank everyone for taking the time to respond, I worry when I read
statements like this.  A few people wrote to say that yes, they had had a
reaction after eating Lays.  One person even stated that he actually found
another type of chip in his bag.

My celiac daughter is only five.  Its been hard for me to tell, but I don't
think she reacts after she has gluten, or if she does, it is only a mild
reaction and one that can be attributed to at least a handful of other
childhood ailments.  I will never use the "eat-it-and-see-if-you-get-sick"
approach to determining if a product contains gluten.  Its too risky.

I'm not saying that every gluten-free item that she puts in her mouth must
be made on a dedicated line.  In many cases I do trust the cleaning
processes that take place and a company's willingness to stand behind their
statement if they claim an item is gluten free.  However, with Lays I don't
trust them, because I've read more than once of people getting sick from
cross-contamination.

I realize its a personal decision.  I choose not to give them to my
daughter.

Thanks for "listening"...

Dina, Illinois, USA