From:
Diane H Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane H Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:05:13 -0400

Thanks to those who responded.
A few people wanted to know what type of reaction I experienced.  The
reaction I had was IMMEDIATE - nausea, then major stomach rumblings,
later increased gas and the following day diarrhea.  The nausea continued
for a day or so.

A few people also reported having bad reactions to Kefir - one woman had
nausea for 2 weeks.  Possible reasons for the bad reaction that were
suggested included: guar gum, FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides, which act as
"prebiotics") or inulin, flavorings (vanilla).  One woman stated that she
discovered a form of yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) in the kefir, which
she had previously been diagnosed as being allergic to, and said that Dr.
Fine says that many people with CD are sensitive to yeast.

Several people suggested that I make my own kefir instead of using the
commercial brands. (information on Yahoo)

A few people yelled at me for drinking soy milk and said I should be
having goat's milk.

A few people suggested this was good that I reacted badly - that meant
that my body had a lot of yeast overgrowth and this was its way of
healing.

Others suggested I try soy yogurt - someone suggested Nancy's (which I
have not seen in Denver) or just get probiotics - perhaps start with a
child's amount.

Since these replies, I have thought about it and did consider that
perhaps my body just needed to adjust to it more slowly - perhaps, as
some suggested, that it was killing off the bad bacteria.  So, I tried it
again - this time I had only 3 tiny sips - over a period of about 9 hours
- and I reacted much more severely.  To me, this indicates an allergic
reaction.  I have experienced this before (including with a medication),
where I wasn't sure if I had reacted to something, took it again in a
smaller dosage, and then ended up extremely ill.  So, at this time I
intend to throw the rest of it down the drain.  Unfortunately, not
knowing exactly what I reacted to, I have to assume that it was one of
the organisms, since I have not reacted to anything else I have ever
eaten in this fashion, and I would now be afraid to try any of the
probiotics for fear that they might contain the same thing and I would
end up very severely ill.

Thanks again to all for your input
Diane
Denver