From:
Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 12:46:41 -0700

The Republic of Ireland (unlike many other countries) recognizes Celiac as a
condition worthy of treatment.  In Ireland, diagnosed celiacs are given the
option of purchasing Tritamyl bread mix at their neighborhood pharmacist.

It's true that Tritamyl Bread mix contains wheat, however it has been
processed so thoroughly as to be %100 gluten free.  As with other foods,
there are some folks who are wheat intolerant, as well as gluten intolerant.
Obviously, they must stay away from Tritamyl mix.  But the vast majority of
celiacs (as thousands in Ireland can attest) are able to eat Odlums Tritamyl
bread mix without any reactions or difficulties.

The fact that U.S.  and international standards conflict, only underscores
the need for standardization.  As long as the American medical system
continues to ignore celiac as a wide spread disorder, those of us suffering
from celiac symptoms will be forced to struggle to find our own solutions.  I
for one am extremely tired of going from doctor to doctor trying to find
validation and/or answers, and even more tired of struggling to find g/f
foods that are nutritionally rich as well as good tasting.

My hat goes off to Scott Adams for creating a site which allows me the option
of deciding for myself, and to Don Wiss for checking everything out.
Hopefully one day all celiacs will be able to walk into any store and know
immediately which foods are gluten free, and which are not, simply by looking
at the package.  Now wouldn't that be a switch!

Thank you St John's for creating this list and allowing me to be a part of
it.  Without the list's resources available to me I'd still be sick,
miserable, and in the dark as to why.

Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit [Anaheim, CA]

Scott Adams' site http://www.glutenfreemall.com
Don Wiss' site http://www.gluten-free.org/