From:
JERRY BRODSKY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 07:25:30 -0500

Q:  Which, if any, medical alcohols are GF?

Background:  I was using a hair lotion with a high alcohol content; I developed
pimples on my temples.  I've stopped using the lotion and the pimples have gone
away.  I suspect the alcohol used in the lotion was grain based, and not GF.

Therefore, what alcohols can be used for lotions, and rubs?

Is Isopropyl Alcohol GF?

What are the common names for alcohol items which are GF?

What are the common names for alcohol items which are not GF?

Currently I am avoiding all such items.  I am a self-diagnossed Celiac; I also
get pimples on my face (almost like when I was a teenager over 40 years ago)
when I have a small exposure to gluten foods, even though it may not be enough
to cause my typical gluten reaction, which is sprue 2 days after eating items
such as half a piece of bread.

I am in Germany and the "approved diet bread" with wheat starch doesn't seem to
bother me; I plan to have blood tests soon.

Do the skin reactions indicate DH, or are they typical side effects of CD?

Jerry Brodsky<[log in to unmask]>-Heidelberg, Germany