From:
Valerie Landon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:21:30 EDT

This was the reply  when asked why the Diced Grilled Chicken contains wheat
but the Grilled  Chicken Fillet does not:
"Your question and  comments registered by way of our Guest Feedback system
were forwarded to me,  Charles Papa, Food Safety and Regulatory Affairs
Compliance Officer for Arby’s  Restaurant Group, Inc.  Thank you for your interest in
 Arby's, and especially for considering our menu as something that might help
to  meet the dietary need you indicate for yourself."
"I can answer your  question directly, “The Diced Grilled Chicken contains
wheat as a carrier for  the seasonings, so it is not gluten-free.  The Grilled
Chicken Fillet  (whole muscle) does not contain wheat, therefore it is
gluten-free.”  If  you leave off the Diced Grilled Chicken, then the Martha’s
Vineyard Salad is gluten-free.  There may be another option,  though, and it depends
almost entirely on you getting a relationship started  with the management of
the Arby’s you frequent, as follows:  the Grilled  Chicken Fillet (whole
fillet) does not contain wheat.  I know that some of  our stores, when called in
advance to make this arrangement, will substitute a  cut Grilled Fillet and put
that on a special salad.  You might try this  approach.  …  And by having
that first relationship with management,  and they know your condition, then you
will not get the other thing happening,  whereby they just pull off the Diced
Chicken and serve it to  you."
"And now if you will allow me the  liberty of my more standard reply.  …  In
general, I wish I could be  more positive about the gluten-free (GF)
experience you might have in our  restaurants.  I list only those items I know for
certain to be GF, so our  list is short, as follows:"

"Proteins, without  bread or buns:  roast beef, ham, turkey, corned beef and
Grilled  Chicken Fillet.  [Breaded chicken fillet and tenders and the
Diced-Grilled are NOT GF.]
Cheeses, natural and processed.
Peppered  bacon.
Baked potatoes only [Plain, or with butter and gluten-free seasonings.  About
10% of our restaurants offer baked potatoes.]
Fresh Fruit  Cup.
Milkshakes."
"I cannot recommend any of the other  potato products, though, because, in
their cooking at the restaurant, there is  the chance they will share
fryer-space with wheat flour-based coated items.  And then you should be made aware of
this:  the Curly Fries are  coated, and there is gluten added as a part of that
formulation and preparation  by our supplier.  Their preparation in the same
oil as that used for  Homestyle Fries and Potato Cakes takes out all three as
option."
"If you are aware of our  re-designed website, _www.arbys.com_
(http://www.arbys.com/)  , then you know it shows  something about food allergens or
sensitivity agents.  You need now only be  able to check components of the menu
items, and this tactic should work:   select “nutrition” from the cover page;
select the category of interest—let’s  use the Arby’s Chicken Naturals as an
example—then select to view the allergen  listings and “go.”  Next, beside any
specific menu item in a category—for  example, Chicken Fillet Sandwich – Grilled
—hit the triangle that appears to the  left of the name, and see that a
component listing displays with an option to  look at ingredient statements—just
wand over that option, and the ingredients  appear.  Unfortunately, one cannot
print from this display.  Or, you  can look at the dots indicating the presence
of major allergens in each  component.  …  This nutrition section will show
you the ingredient  lists for almost all the components of our menu items.  On
this last  point, perhaps you should consult the website to be certain of menu
items, such  as condiments, being GF."
"Again, Valerie, thank you for your interest  in Arby's.  Please continue in
the future to check out our website, and  there learn of any new items that
are suitable for you.  And if you need  any further information or additional
details, please feel free to contact  me."

Sincerely,
Charles  Papa, Ph.D.
Food Safety and Regulatory Affairs  Compliance Officer
Technical  Services
Arby's Restaurant Group,  Inc.
1155 Perimeter Center  West
Atlanta, GA  30338
Phone: (678) 514-4315
Mobile:  (678) 778-9730
I’m  thinking Arby’s.™Notice: This e-mail  message and its attachments are
property of Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc. and  may contain confidential or
legally privileged information intended solely for  the use of the addressee(s).
If you are not an intended recipient, then any use,  copying or distribution of
this message or its attachments is strictly  prohibited. If you received this
message in error, please notify the sender and  delete this message entirely
from your system.

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new _AOL.com_
(http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982) .