From:
Yehudit Massouda <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yehudit Massouda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 11:16:18 -0500

Hi all,

Here is a response I received from Smucker's about the gluten free
status of their products. What I don't understand is how there is only
testing for wheat gluten available, as opposed to all gluten. Also, I had
asked additionally for information about their s.f. pancake syrup - did I
miss it in this reply?

Thanks,
Yehudit

----------------

Dear Mr. Massouda:

We have received your recent inquiry regarding our products that are
gluten-free.

Unless there is no protein from an allergenic source, we disclose the
presence of the following: milk, eggs, peanuts, soybeans, tree nuts,
shellfish, fish and wheat.  We encourage you to always reference
individual labels in case there have been formulation changes.

All our traditional Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Marmalades, Low Sugar
and Sugar-Free Spreads, Simply Fruit Spreads, Fruit Syrups, Peanut
Butters, Shortening and Oil products are wheat gluten-free.  Wheat is
the only gluten for which technology is available for testing for its
presence.

For all Snacker's, Uncrustables and Ice Cream Topping product lines,
please reference the word "wheat" on the label with purchasing these
products.

For more specific information regarding your dietary program, we
suggest that you contact your health care provider.

Again, thank you for contacting us.  We trust this information has been
of assistance to you.