From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:03:57 -0700

Well, folks, it's official -- to me at least.  I have celiac.  I got the
results of my gene test back today.  I have both genes that cause celiac.
 I inherited one from each parent & gave one copy to each of my four
sons.  I informally spoke to a doctor on the phone in Portland today
about it.  She said that if I have the genes & have had the symptoms for
years, that's all she needs to make the diagnosis.  If any of you have
relatives who are reluctant to have the traditional workup done, you may
be able to get them to at least do the gene test.  It is so simple.
It's super simple. NO BLOOD INVOLVED! You can order it online, take the
little Q-tips & swab the insides of your cheeks, let the swabs dry, put
them in the envelop & call Airborn Express for a pick up.   It's pricey
though -- $149.  But, it's worth it to me to avoid all that other stuff
like the barfin' gluten challenge, the "iffy" blood tests & the "hit or
miss" biopsies. You order it from EnteroLab.  Their web address is:
http://www.finerhealth.com/  (In case this web address doens't work, you
can search under Dr. Kenneth Fine or EnteroLab.) ~Valerie in Tacoma, WA