From:
Tricia Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tricia Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:33:21 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I received an email from a Listserv member in response to my post
about "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Gluten-Free Eating." The email read in
part:

"Why would anybody be so rude and offensive as to name a book "The
Complete Idiot's Guide to Gluten-Free Eating"--are you suggesting the only
people who would want it are "complete idiots?"

This email raised an important issue. Some people may not be familiar with
the "Idiot's Guides." Like the "For Dummies" books, the "Idiot's Guides" are a
series of books on a variety of topics that all share the same initial title, "The
Complete Idiot's Guide to..." The authors of these books do not choose the
title.

When I was asked to help write this book I hesitated because of the title (I
have never liked the titles of these series books either). But this book was
going to be written whether I participated or not. My more pressing concern
was that the information contained in the book was accurate and helpful so I
agreed to work on this project. And many people (my PhD economist husband
among them) find the "Idiot's Guides" to be excellent sources of easily
accessible information on a given topic.

So there you have it. Hopefully, this helps clear up any confusion. No, I do not
think any of us who follow a gluten-free diet are idiots!!

Thank you!

Tricia Thompson, MS, RD
The Gluten-Free Dietitian
Nutrition Consultant/Celiac Disease