From:
"C. Connolly" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
C. Connolly
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:39:13 +0000

I love the MANNA FROM ANNA mix-I never toast it, it stays for a long time
and it holdds up great in the freezer.  My local store carries it but you
can find her on line.

The very best bread that I have found is Manna from
Anna,.www.glutenevolution.com.   My husband is celiac and loves this for
sandwiches.  It is a mix that is the closes thing to the real thing.  I find
that I like it also, which is the real test.

My son uses the Ener G brand "Papa's Bread"  for all his  sandwiches

I have recently tried Grandma Ferdons buttermilk bread (it  doesn't really
have buttermilk in it, they said they named it that because of  its taste
and texture).  Anyway, I eat it without toasting it - the first  GF bread
I've had that I could eat without toasting.  Also, if you like  pumpernickel
bread, Grandma Ferdons just came out with cocktail pumpernickel  bread.
It's the cocktail bread size, although they say they're going to  come out
with a full size loaf before long.  The pumpernickel is great  without
toasting.  Makes a pretty small sandwich, but its very good.   Grandma
Ferdons in on the web at www.grandmaferdons.com

They have some other great items. For traveling, I'd take along some of
their lemon bars.

Try the mock rye from Mr. Ritts bakery in Philadelphia.  You can get his
phone number on his website.  You need to call to place the order - they do
not take orders online.  They will ship anywhere and it is the ONLY bread I
can eat without toasting.  It is really very good.

The rye and pumpernickel breads are delicious.  They are better when heated
(I actually like them better heated in a microwave if you can find access to
one).  Otherwise, they are still pretty good.  I also LOVE their bagels- the
best I have found.  The soft pretzels are good as well.  You could also bake
your own bread ahead of time (if you have time).  I've found that freshly
baked bread does not need to be toasted (while it's still fresh)- my
favorite recipes are from Bette Hagman.

Mona's Gluten Free (  www.madebymona.com ) makes a mix for a  delicious
bread called Milk & Honey Brown Bread Mix that was delicious  enough for my
family even my 15-year-old celiac son who has very picky  tastes.  We sliced
it and froze the slices individually  wrapped.  It tastes great thawed,
heated or toasted and makes a  great sandwich for lunch at work or school.

HI,
The perfect solution is
http://www.glutenfreesolutions.org/Products/WhiteBread.php
Many have tried it and say it is very very good.
Look at this thread to ask questions or have informations:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=51245.1

You may not want to purchase another cook book but the recipe that works for
me is in "125 Best GF Recipes" by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt.  The
recipe is called Ciabatta. It stays fresh for at least a week. I make it up
in hamburger size buns using  rings I purchased from King Arthur Flour
catalog and cut them in half when cool, wrap, and freeze. The center stays
soft and I can either put sandwich filling inside or a cooked hamburger.
Great for travelling. I use the oven method to make them and they are quick
and easy to make. Sorry I can't put the recipe on here since it is out of a
cookbook. I have no financial interest, just a happy cook.

I love the French loaf bread in Bette Hagman's bread  recipe book.
I just make it in a bread pan instead of using my French  loaf pans.  Let it
sit about 4 hours, and slice with an electric  knife.
Make sure if using a bread pan to have an internal temp of  210 when done.

The only one I like that doesn't need to be toasted is from Breads by Anna.
It tastes just like the gluten kind.

if you ever order from Gluten Solutions, try Sterk's Sandwich bread or
Sterk's Italian bread, excellent, best one I've had yet.  First time in 6
years I was able to eat a sandwich (untoasted), & have it taste like bread,
not grit!!

did you try ener-g tapioca bread? our daughters love it....we sell it in
2slice packages which is great because there is no waste...check it out if
you would like to try...  www.glutenfreeforme.com

I have been making buns from Kinnikinnick Bread & Bun mix. I have them in a
small container and sometimes ask for them to be warmed in microwave. I make
these buns using 14 empty tuna cans placed on a large jelly roll sheet, and
bake for 18 min. They are ok to eat room temp for a couple days, but cool is
better if you carry a cooler.

how about crackers, rice tortillas for wraps, home made muffins
sometimes we roll a sandwich up in a big lettuce leaf

Our favorite is Grandma Ferdon's Egg or Buttermilk bread.
Available at

       www.grandmaferdons.com

Hi....I have toasted the bread prior to leaving  home.  It isn't warm when
eaten, but much better than untoasted.  I  haven't found any that taste good
to me without toasting.

The kids like corn tortillas with anything on them like hummus and
guacamole.
I make pita bread with rice flour and a bit of guar gum substituted for the
wheat flour.

*******
*******