From:
Barbara Emch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 17:06:47 EST

Hi Everyone,

Last year my husband made several batches of Kolache and of course, I couldn't
eat any of it, so this year, I vowed I would make a GF Kolache.

Here's the recipe for it, but please bear in mind that the baking time might
not be exact as I kept checking it and adding time.

GF Kolache - by Barbara Emch

Mix with wire wisk in medium bowl:
2 cups rice flour
2 cups tapioca starch
2 pkgs fast rise or dry yeast
2 tsp xanthan gum

Scald 1 1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
and add to it and allow to cool:
1/4 cup plus 2 T sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt

Mix in large bowl with dough hooks:
2 large eggs
1 tsp lemon juice

To the large bowl, add the cooled milk mixture, then the dry mixture, mixing
well on low.  Beat dough on medium for several minutes.  Spray two cookie
sheets with Pam.  Sprinkle tapioca starch on waxed paper and spoon out 1/4 of
dough at a time to roll out on the waxed paper.  It will be very sticky.
Sprinkle enough tapioca starch on the top of the dough so you can roll it out
to about 3/4 inch.  It should be a square about 8 inches x 8 inches.  Spoon
out 1/4 of the nut filling (recipe follows) and spread evenly onto the dough
with a rubber spatula.  Start rolling from the bottom.  If dough sticks, use a
pancake turner to loosen from the waxed paper and put a small amt of tapioca
starch on it to make it easier to roll.  After dough is all rolled up, very
gently pick up with pancake turner and your hand as it is very tender and
place on the cookie sheet.  You can brush with milk to make the top shiny, but
this is optional. Repeat with 3 other portions and put in slightly warmed oven
to rise for one hour or until risen enough.  Take out of oven and preheat oven
to 350 deg.  Bake for 20 - 25 min, but this time is not exact so please check
for doneness with toothpick.

Filling:  Grind approx 1/2 lb of walnuts to make 2 cups of finely ground nuts.
Then add 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 stick of butter, and 2 T milk or
enough milk to make pasty.

Let me know if anyone makes this and it turns out.

Barb from NE Ohio