From:
V. Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:58:25 -0500

Dear list:
I still have not heard from Inova Diagnostics, makers
of one of the tTG tests.

From email I've received from list members, you can
get the tTG test (which requires being on gluten) by
contacting the University of Marlyland research project
that is using the tTG test, and asking to participate.  Ask
to be sent the information, and they will assign you a
number.  They are particularly interested in testing families.
Contact information appears below.  I was told that you must
be on gluten to take this test, for this study, if you are looking
for a diagnosis.

However, I will be tested - I am participating - just to see if I
am still making the antibodies.  I have been gluten-free one year.
My 24-year-old and 21-year-old will be tested IF I can persuade
them to cooperate - They don't live at home and don't want to
think about it (denial that they could have any problems - They
take after their Dad/my husband).

The test involves getting your local doctor - or the nurse
with doctor's order - or technician - to draw 2 tubes of
blood. These tubes will be sent to you with instructions
when you call and stay you want to participate in the study.
One has a red top and requires 3 cc of blood, the other has
a yellow top and requires 7 cc of blood.  The MUST be sent
overnight delivery - best to arrive the following a.m. - so you
would be wise to have the blood draw done Monday through
Thursday so it doesn't arrive on a Saturday or Sunday.  Ship
by a method that pads and protects the tubes of blood, so they
won't break.  Sending at room temperature is OK.  Protect
in plastic bubbles - foam - styrofoam -etc.

The only charge is the blood draw at your doctor's or his lab,
any charge for packaging you or your doctor provide, and the
overnight delivery, since it is a research study.

Contact:
Tania Gerarduzzi, Ph.D.  at (410) 706-3734
Her email:  [log in to unmask]
Mailing address, unless her instructions in with the tubes she
sends you say otherwise:
UMAB, Building BRB, Room 10-049
655 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

Of course, if the information she sends with the tubes  say to
send it to another address, do so.  I haven't received my
tubes/info yet - Just called her today and said I want to participate
and have my offspring tested.

Best of luck to all of us - Hope it not only provides us with valuable
information, but the study is both diagnostic (one tube) and a genetic
study (other tube of blood) and may provide a lot of clues as to how
we inherit this if families and relatives participate.

Vicki Jones