From:
Carol Castellano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:37:31 EDT

Date:   04/14/2000 5:25:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From:   [log in to unmask] (Tracy Pfeiffer)

In case anyone might be interested, here's an e-mail I received from the
Carvel Ice Cream Corp.

Thank you for your inquiry into Carvel's product line.

Carvel Ice Cream (Chocolate and Vanilla), No Fat Ice Cream (Chocolate and
Vanilla) and NoSugar Added, Low Fat Vanilla Ice Cream do not contain any
wheat, rye, oats or barley products. The whipped topping used to decorate
Carvel cakes, as well as the decorating gels and colors do not contain any
wheat, rye, oats or barley. The flavors used for the hard pack and soft serve
ice creams are corn based. Starches and vegetable gums used in Carvel
products contain no wheat, rye, oats or barley products. Please refer to the
attached list of specific gluten-free Carvel products.

The Carvel chocolate crunch layer found in our cakes do contain gluten.
Standard Carvel cakes as sold in a retail Carvel store or your local
supermarket contain gluten.

The sprinkles that are used on the cakes contain rice flour and corn starch.
These should be allright for you to consume, unless your condition also
limits these food items from your diet.

If you would like a Carvel cake, I would suggest you special order a cake
with no crunchies.  You can also ask your local Carvel store to add fruit
filling, candy or fudge at your request. A terrific combination is a layer
each of chocolate and vanilla ice cream with fudge in the middle. Thank-you
for your interest in Carvel ice cream.

The ice cream cones also contain gluten.  I would suggest that if you are
ordering soft serve, that you order it in a cup.

If you have any other questions or seek additional information, please
contact me via email.

Sincerely,

Tracy Pfeiffer