From:
Karin Spady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karin Spady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 07:00:56 -0700

Thanks for those that wrote ¡V I received 6 responses ¡V sorry this
summary took a while ¡V I was hoping to get more letters. My comments
are written in caps to delineate the difference from the other
posters and myself ¡V not that I¡¦m shouting.

Below are the responses I received:

¡§Interesting because Kraft claims that they label everything that
has gluten in it.  I would like to hear their response.  Also,
Annie's makes a cheese sauce.  I just ordered it from the gf pantry.
I have not tried it yet, but I will let you know!¡¨

¡§If your daughter becomes ill after the Kraft M&C, I would not
recommend that you use it.  But, I do believe that it is GF.We use
the cheese in the box and my daughter has never had an issue with it.
 She is highly sensitive.  But has never reacted to this.  I cannot
explain why your daughter reacted.  But, to the best of my knowledge
(it has been a while since I contacted them) it is GF and we have
never had a reaction.  In fact she just had it for lunch and is
fine.¡¨

¡§Velveeta, thinnned with a bit of milk, makes the best mac and
cheese and it's easy and gf. (MY QUESTION TO THIS POSTER WAS THAT I
HAD HEARD VELVETTA IN THE USA WAS NOT GF BUT ONLY CANADAS SO SHE
WROTE BACK WITH THE REPLY IMMEDIATELY BELOW)

¡§We had some Velveeta not too long ago with no problems. I thought
it had always been GF, hadn't heard of problems with it. I usually
just melt American cheese because I always have some in the house.¡¨

¡§I saw your post to the St. John's Listserv on the Kraft M&C sauce.
I had a similar experience the last time I gave it to my son, except
that he also tried some new crackers the same day (Blue Diamond Nut
Thins), so I couldn't tell which one made him sick. Needless to say,
he hasn't eaten either one since. My guess is that some gluten from
the outside of the cheese package may have gotten into his pasta. The
ingredients for the cheese sauce appear to be fine, and we never have
problems with Kraft products. Thanks for posting your
experience--it's too easy to second guess myself on these things.¡¨

¡§Hi... have you had responses to this post. I was wondering about
the
velveeta and shells creamy cheese sauce in the foil packet. I posted
to the group but, they never put it up. Haven't had a chance to
repost.¡¨

ONE POSTER REPLIED TO ME WITH A COMMENT THAT I WAS PRACTISING VOODOO
BY STATING THE POSSIBLY THAT OUR DAUGHTER MAY HAVE REACTED TO THE
KRAFT MAC AND CHEESE PACKET.

SINCE THE TIME THAT OUR DAUGHTER REACTED ¡V WE HAVE SEEN ANOTHER
PRODUCT ON THE SHELVES OF ONE OF OUR GROCERY STORES (IN THEIR
SPECIALITY SECTION) THAT HASN¡¦T BEEN THERE BEFORE. I BOUGHT A FEW
BOXES ¡V THEY ARE MAC AND CHEESE MADE BY PASTATO AND ARE MADE IN
CANADA. THE BOX INDICATES THAT THE MAC AND CHEESE IS GF AND IS
SUITALBE FOR THOSE WITH CELIAC SPRUE. SEEMS LIKE CANADA HAS SOME GOOD
PRODUCTS THAT THE USA DOES NOT. I BOUGHT THESE IN POULSBO IN
WASHINGTON STATE. ON THE BOX ¡V THEY LIST THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS ¡V
SOUNDS SO GOOD. WE HAVEN¡¦T HAD A CHANCE TO TRY THEM YET, BUT I¡¦M
SURE THEY WILL BE GREAT. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, I CAN GIVE YOU SOME
OF THE INFORMATION ON THE BOX AND MAYBE SOME OF THE GROCERY STORES IN
OTHER AREAS MIGHT BE WILLING TO CARRY THIS PRODUCT. ļ

THANKS AGAIN FOR THOSE THAT WROTE.

KARIN