From:
Pat Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 12:54:09 EDT

Thank you for your responses to my request for GF baked beans! I heard from
47 people in less than 20 hours!

26-- Bush's original or vegetarian.

   web site, http://bushbeans.com/fans/faq.html ,

   " All of our Bush's Best products are gluten-free with the exception of
   Bush's Best Chili Beans and Bush's Chili Magic line"
   (One quote ---  And they are great even without any "doctoring up.")

6-- Van Camps

5-- B and M Baked Beans

---------SHARED RECIPES--
Here is what I use:

Canned, cooked navy beans
good splash GF catsup
good splash GF dried mustard powder
Pinch of salt and pepper
Splash of either molasses or brown sugar
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
Splash of wine
Cooked, crumbled bacon or cubes of ham (optional)

Simmer and correct seasonings to taste.  This takes about 5 minutes,
including the time to simmer.  It takes a bit longer if you have to cook
the bacon first.  As with many "messes", it tastes better the second day.
Enjoy

------

BARBEQUE BAKED BEANS--Amber Lee

2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
1 pound bacon, fried and crumbled
1 onion, minced
2 cups BBQ sauce
1 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp mustard powder

1.  Drain and rinse beans.  Put in 4 quart ditch oven or baking dish.

2.  Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well with a large spoon.

3.  Cover and bake at 350 F for 1 hour.

Makes about 3 quarts.

Oh, and here's a great recipe for BBQ sauce if you don't know any bottled
varieties that are GF:

HONEY BBQ SAUCE--Amber Lee

2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp molasses (optional)

1.  Whisk ingredients together in a small saucepan.

2.  Bring to a boil, then simmer 1-2 minutes.

Keep covered in refrigerator.

Makes 2 1/2 cups.

----

I have posted Boston Baked Bean  recipe on this site:

http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages

-----

baked beans, NE style baked, Old Fash. in br sugar and molasses, chili
beans, P&B's in tomato sauce, Ranchero and Vegetarian are all listed as
GF. I eat Campbell's P&B's all  the time. Other are, Delmonte, Blue Boy,
Eden, Gebhardt, Hain, Health Valley, Heinz, Hunts, Meijer, among others.

 -----

I use Northern Beans in a glass jar.  They are gluten free.

     I add 1/2 onion finely diced,  1/2 to 3/4 cup Heinz ketsup, 2 tlsp.
brown sugar.

    Bake in the oven 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

-------

 I usually make my beans from scratch which really isn't too hard.  Follow
directions for soaking beans or I also use Randall's beans, add GF bacon
chopped up, ketchup, onions chopped, brown sugar and bake for an hour or so.=

Very good!

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED!  Pat/VA