From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:47:19 -0500

I followed the discussion on the gf-status of beef with considerable
interest. I wonder if a similar problem could arise with catfish;
every time I've eaten it, it tasted awful, smelled "wrong" and made
me ill. I've given up on catfish entirely, no matter how many people
tell me its flesh is sweet and delicious these days, now that they
farm-raise them. (People used to push "delicious" whole-wheat muffins
at me too. Even before I knew I was wheat intolerant, I thought they
were awful, like eating lousy-tasting bricks. Catfish affects me
similarly.)

Well, I saw a tv ad for farm-raised catfish, all about how delicious
they were, and how they only eat the best grain diet, and a big dump
truck pours what looks like kibble into the water. (Actually, I like
the ad, it has lots of humorous touches; it closes with a string
quartet playing in a boat at sunset, presumably to keep the fish
happy.) But if these catfish, and perhaps other farm-raised fish, are
fed a grain-based diet, would they possibly have gluten in their
flesh? I've heard that fish often have any contaminants in the fatty
parts, especially.

I don't have any trouble with other fish or seafood (except that
imitation crabmeat stuff, which I found out often uses flour to hold
together), and I eat quite a bit of other fish, mostly coldwater fish
like smelt or herring, so I don't miss the catfish that much, but I'm
curious. Perhaps I'm just allergic to catfish for some other reason.

Thanks in advance,
Bobbi in Baltimore