Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 11:01:18 -0500

Hi All,

I have been reading different information about gluten response times and
just wanted to ask your opinion. I am still eating gluten because I am
awaiting a biopsy to be done on August 9th.

When I eat some foods that definitely contain gluten, but perhaps in
smaller amounts or in less obvious sources,  I either get a delayed gluten
reaction (several hours or next day) or often feel less of a reaction than
in other situations.

While on some other occasions, I get an almost immediate response ... first
in my mouth (tongue and mouth burn and feel swollen) and then shortly
thereafter I feel nauseau, fatigued, stomach pain, etc, etc. I usually get
this immediate response when I eat something like bran or whole grain
breads.

Some info I have read state that gluten reaction is not usually immediate,
and that this would be more consistent with a wheat allergy only.

However, on another post, I have read from some dx'd celiac patients that
they often do get immediate reactions from certain foods, licking stamps,
etc and often feel it first in their mouths or very soon after in their
gut, bowel, etc.

I am interested in knowing your experiences with gluten reaction response
times, etc.  I will summarize.

Thanks all,