Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:18:32 -0600

Thanks to eveyone who sent me information about Albuquerque, Sante Fe,
Taos, and Abiquiu, NM. I'm very excited about my trip!

"Summary - Honeymoon in Taos, NM"  was sent previously, so I won't repost
it. You can find it in the archive (15 Sep 2000).

Chris
Minneapolis MN

---
Albuquerque, NM, USA is  restaurant heaven.  Simply ask the waitstaff what
has flour or not.  You will be happy with the food there as any time in
your life.   Not to be missed.  Los Quintas.  There are two but the one in
the parking lot (south side of the road) is the best.
---
There is are several Wild Oats stores (one on Academy and Wyoming not far
from I25 to Santa Fe), Whole Foods at  Academy & Wyoming, and a couple of
other smaller stores- Fountain of Health and Kellers.
---
There is a GREAT Whole Foods in Santa Fe on Cerrillos Road that you can
stock up at , plus Wild Oats is also nearby so you'll have plenty of
choices. I'm not aware of any GREAT health food stores in Taos. I would
recommend shopping in Santa Fe.
Abiqu is pretty remote and doesn't have much of anything, so again, stock
up before you go there.
As for dining, we like Coyote Café in Santa Fe (the chef doesn't use as
much wheat, preferring corn instead). We also like the Inn of the Anasazi,
right off the square on Washington St. You can get corn tortillas instead
of flour and their food is truly delicious and upscale.
If you're driving from Santa Fe to Abiqu, you could make a side trip to
Rancho Chimayo which is in Chimayo north(ish) from Espanola. The restaurant
is housed in a 400 year old adobe house and the food is great and very
authentically Northern New Mexico. Chimayo is remote and small and not much
else there except the Santuario Chimayo, an historic church.
---
for a book with a list of 50 national/regional restaurants and their GF
items, go to www.goodhealthpublishing.com. There's a list of restaurants, a
printable flyer/order form or secure ordering over the web.
---
There are three Wild Oats Markets in ABQ, as well as Whole Foods. We also
have a Natural Foods Co-op, (The La Montanita Coop) Santa Fe has a Wild
Oats as well as other Markets.  Restaurants in Albuquerque which are good
to try are several Thai Places, such as the Bangkok Cafe, Thai Crystal.
There is an Aryevedic Place called Annapurna.
Another place called Busters Cafe has Gluten Free Bread for sandwiches. We
also have Great Harvest Breads, which sell Gluten Free Fresh Breads on Sundays.
---
Wild Oats at 6300 San Mateo NE in Albuquerque is just off I-25 (the
Interstate between Albuquerque and Santa Fe).  If you are flying in, the
Airport is close to I-25 on the south side of town.  That Wild Oats is on
the north side.  They have two other stores in Albuquerque also.  There is
a Whole Foods Market at the intersection of Wyoming and Academy.

Can't help you much with restaurants.  I was diagnosed in July and have
only eaten at one restaurant since then.  Still spooked about eating
out.  I had good luck though at Steak & Ale.  We had a great waiter.  It's
on Louisiana just north of I-40, adjacent to the Marriott Hotel.
---
The only place I can help you with is Albuquerque, N.M.  There's a store
there called Wild Oats.  I don't know if you're familiar with their stores
or not, but it's a celiac's dream store.  My husband & I will be going
there in a couple of months, can't wait to get to that store, it's pricey,
but don't we know all of our wf/gf foods are.  Wild Oats is a "health food
store, & you can look it up on line.  I think all you have to do is go to
www.wildoats.com  & that should bring it up (hopefully!!!).
---
I love Santa Fe, Abiqiqiu etc...I have not been back since going g-f but I
do remember - there is a large, beautiful Alfalfa's (or Whole Foods) market
in Santa Fe - with lots of supplies. Also - Coyote Cafe (upscale) will do a
g-f meal with advance notice (24 or 48 hours, I think); it is right in
downtown Santa Fe.
---
Good news for you for Albuquerque, at least.  I don't live there but have
relatives so we visit several times a year.  There are 2 Wild Oats (don't
have phone book, so can't look up the addresses) where you can buy many GF
items (I'm the celiac in the family).  Also, we've had success eating at
three very nice restaurants + Home Town Buffet.  The three restaurants are
Sadie's (Mexican), Cervantes (Mexican + and it's near Kirtland AFB), and
Marie Theresa's in Old Town.  All three are great places and moderately
priced.  Home Town Buffet has many, many things you can eat, including the
ham, beef and baked chicken (which I think is delicious).
---
I know that Alb has a wild oats market -- two actually. That is where my
sister and uncle get their gf goods.